Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Coconut Macaroons and BBQ

So these are my new favorite dessert of all time. 

My husband mentioned how much he loved macaroons and I decided to make them in celebration of his one year mark of returning home from his mission in Tempe, AZ. 
I can't believe how far we have come this last year and I am so excited for our future together! 

*This was right after I met him in the airport! Such a great day.


These macaroons are perfect. They are crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside, and an all around perfectly sweet treat!



INGREDIENTS:
4 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS:
Whisk together egg whites, sugar and salt in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water. Remove the pan from heat 
when it is warm and creamy, and stir in the vanilla extract, almond extract, cake flour, and coconut. cover and refrigerate for at least two hours before baking. *If you refrigerate them over night they are the best!!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat two cookie sheets with non-stick spray {I use a silicon baking mat -- it makes clean up so much easier and there is no chance of the macaroons sticking} . Place small mounds of the batter on the cookie sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. remove immediately from the cookie sheet and let cool.

We like these plain but they are amazing dipped in chocolate as well! Just make sure to wait until they are completely cool. Then melt either dark or milk chocolate, dip each macaroon and place on wax paper to dry.


P.S. These macaroons are even better the next day!


BBQ Dinner

Tonight I made BBQ Chicken, sweet potatoes, mixed vegetables, and buttermilk cornbread. It was simple, delicious and reminded me of how much I miss Texas. We easily took down 5 pieces of chicken each. I tried "Sweet Baby Ray's" BBQ sauce for the first time. It was incredible. Two thumbs up. I miss my internship so much but I am loving being home to cook, clean and just be newly weds



The flowers outside our apartment bloomed this weekend. Yay for warmer weather!








No comments:

Post a Comment